Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Pre 1996 Support??

3809 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: 2015-06-10 14:25:30

•   Level 4   
    (115) points
    jfoj
    2015-06-09 05:40:34
    So the MaxiDAS comes with the early OBDI adapters.

I had the need to address a 1994 GM car yesterday, however, the GM support stopped at 1996.

The question is: was the pre 1996 GM support software left out, is it a future release or is it not going to be released?

I did not check any other manufacturer for pre 1996 support, so this may be a global issue or it may have been just an issue with GM coverage.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2015-06-09 06:07:13 (Reply to:jfoj)

There is no obd1 support for the most part and according to autel it will not be
    develope .

•   Level 4   
    (115) points
    jfoj
    2015-06-09 06:37:51 (Reply to:ede65)
    Interesting.

Then why are OBDI connectors included with the system?

Can you point to anywhere that Autel indicated they would not develop OBDI support?

Hopefully Autel support personnel can comment specifically on what the status/position is regarding OBDI support is for these tools.

•   Level 6   
    (680) points
    Erik Autel US

2015-06-09 11:43:16 (Reply to:jfoj)

Hello,

This connectors are to access early OBD II Body and Chassis Module. Also since our unit is sold worldwide. You will mostly used Chrysler, Mitsubishi / Hyundai, BMW, Benz, and Nissan. Others are for vehicles not from US and Canada. Like imported vehicles from other countries. 

Manual states OBD I however it is been changed to fix the issue.

•   Level 4   
    (115) points
    jfoj
    2015-06-09 21:54:10 (Reply to:Erik Autel US)
    Unfortunate the fix is to change the manual to eliminate the OBDI reference rather than implement the support for OBDI.

This is something even lower priced tools can support. At least code and Live Data support would be very helpful.

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2015-06-10 08:14:43 (Reply to:jfoj)

yes your right. and they are still selling this tools with obd1 connectors, I have a bunch of them. they have said a couple of years ago that this function will not be developed and they will rather concentrate on newer models. it makes sense to me from the business point of view that they rather spend the money to develop new vehicles and functions.  it makes sense if an obd1 tool can be bought from as low as 20 dollars why will they spend thousands even millions developing this function on every tool. coding and developing functions/features is very expensive the reason why they dropped it. I don't know why autel keeps sending this connectors if is not supported. you wouldn't have ask this question or even worry about it if they where not there included with your tool and of course not advertised like they do. sorry for your suffering we all did a while back. good luck.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2015-06-10 09:43:53 (Reply to:ede65)

OBD2 was set up to standardize just the  engine control side of diagnostics and testing. The 16 pin OBD2 style connector on earlier OBD2 cars were often put there just to comply to minimum letter of the law and sometimes still  put  in places that sucked to find them (like behind a console ashtray aka early Honda and Toyota  or the right side of console under passenger side of dash like a Ford T-bird. Some earlier cars with OBD2 you could only pull codes in engine control, but  you still had to access the proprietary  manufacturer specific design connector (same ole OBD1 style connector) to access more in depth data and engine control Bi directional testing. Manufacturers found that it was cheaper to network and phase out redundant wiring and older proprietary style connectors and put all access off the 16pin connector.
     Now  I think it's High Time for new OBD3 regulations  for OE 's to standardize  and simplify all  rest of systems of the cars for the aftermarket to be able to service them as much as possible. It's awful that you can't recycle  a used module of the same calibrations from an auto wrecker anymore and just get old  things up and running on the way again without jumping through costly hoops of OE subscriptions and expensive equipment to program new modules.

•   Level 4   
    (115) points
    jfoj
    2015-06-10 11:20:01 (Reply to:witsend)
    Yea, I guess "STUPID ME" for thinking that the documentation and the fact it OBDI connector for the GM was in the kit that this would work!!!

Luckily I have a SnapOn MODIS a Tech 1 and some other tools on hand that I could use. I was actually rather surprised what Live OBDI data was available on the OBDI GM car I was working on. It has been a LONG time since I have had to play with many of these.

It is pretty sad that for around $200 other competitors offer tools that support OBDI.

Interesting wording directly from the Autel site About section, I have bolded some key points:

"Autel is one of the world's leading manufacturers and suppliers of professional diagnostic tools, equipments and accessories in the automotive aftermarket. Since our foundation, we have been committed to creating maximum long-term value to customers worldwide by providing quality-assured, easy-to-use, cost-effective and innovative products. To deliver this value to our customers, we make every effort to understand our end-users' needs and translate those needs into superior products by maximizing our research and development and manufacturing capabilities. Our team is made up of the most distinguished experts and engineers with years of experience in this industry. We have been investing a minimum of 20% of our annual revenue into new product development."

The thing is at least for maybe GM, Ford and Chrysler there should be some concerted effort to offer at least the power train OBDI support, reading codes, Live ECU data. I do not think this would be such a difficult task and it would broaden the interest in the tools that Autel offers.

Yes is all about keeping up with the current issues, but there are still a lot of older OBDI cars in some markets.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2015-06-10 13:06:59 (Reply to:jfoj)

The problem nowadays is if the government gets involved with new regulations for car makers for OBD3 , things are going to get more complicated and more expensive to operate and repair a car instead of easier.
       For example to fabricate a new tax on people in the guise of encouraging  proper eating habits and personal hygene, Liberals will say all car seats must have an occupant sensor and be equipped with a vapor recovery system with  a noise cancelling system tied to the vehicle's audio system, but so people aren't eating and drinking fatty gas producing foods just  to get better mpg, a sensor in the seat will automatically charge a toll to your I-pass every time you toot for a personal carbon emission tax :-)

•   Level 4   
    (115) points
    jfoj
    2015-06-10 13:40:58 (Reply to:witsend)
     Going to get interesting very soon with Back Up cameras being mandated in all cars starting with the 2018 MY. They are being phased in at over 50% as I recall now. This means the cameras and systems will be REQUIRED to work for State Inspections. So how are the Scan Tool vendors going to address this one? Is there a "standardized" interface for the Head Units or will each manufacturer have their own protocols?

I had to get the 1994 OBDI car to pass the State Emission Test. Funny how any non OBDII cars are required to go back on the dyno for the IM240 test. Even the Inspector indicated it would be kind of fun because he does not run many of the older cars on the dyno for the IM240 any more. But I had to do some things on this car to make sure it would pass the Emission Test. Being able to view the Live/Realtime data was important.

I was looking over the OBDIII info and like anything too many bureaucrats and not enough technical people. Actually improper engine temperature (too cool) is a MAJOR problem that is totally overlooked and very few ECU are capable of flagging this problem. The amount of wasted fuel and increase in emission because of a bad thermostat is crazy, but this it TOTALLY missed all the time. In my state they are starting with roadside drive by tail pipe testing with a camera that will capture the licenses plate and IR imaging to make sure the car is warmed up. This would be a much better use of  resources than OBDIII IMHO.

Even at this late in the game, 2015 manufacturers are still having problems detecting misfires and really flagging Lean conditions due to intake and crankcase air leaks. An intake and crankcase smoke test should be a mandatory part of all Emission Tests as well.

Total2 Pages